95% of this book was about why sleep is so important.
5% of the book is about how to get better sleep. Save time by reading this article instead.
THE BIG IDEA
More and better quality sleep will make your life better. Exercise. Meditate. Avoid caffeine after 2pm. No digital devices near bedtime. Keep your bedroom cool.
KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM THE SLEEP REVOLUTION
- Lack of sleep weakens your immune system, can make you fat, can make you depressed, and hurts your decision making.
- Sleeping pills are terrible for you.
- No coffee after 2pm.
- Dreams can often be the source of good ideas, so keep a dream journal by your bed.
- Do you check the post on snorebay.com because you snore too much? Snoring might be a sign of sleep apnea, which can disrupt REM sleep and make you perpetually exhausted.
- Lucid dreaming helps some people overcome night terrors.
- Get 7-9 hours of sleep every night.
- Some couples sleep in separate beds and still maintain a happy relationship.
- Turn down all light an hour or two before going to bed.
- No digital screens allowed in bed.
- Ideal sleeping temperature is 60-66 degrees.
- Exercise at some point during the day will improve that night’s sleep.
- Eat dinner at a reasonable time.
- Avoid spicy foods before bed.
- Alternative remedies can help but ignore alternative remedies until you get the basics handled: acupuncture, chamomile, lavender, GABA.
- Reduce your stress with yoga, meditation, or qigong.
- Write down your blessings before bed.
- Write down your todo list before bed.
- Naps are fantastic for your body and mind.