The Big Idea: The ancient Stoic philosophers came from almost every imaginable background: slave, emperor, water carrier, playwright, merchant, Senator, soldier. However, they all focused not on the external world but on what was solely in their own control: their thoughts, their actions, their beliefs.
1. All we control is how we respond: A crisis for someone is an opportunity for someone else.
2. Don’t do it alone. We need teachers and mentors.
3. Be the red thread. Embrace what makes you unique.
4. Keep your head. Don’t let emotions cloud your judgment.
5. Value the four cardinal virtues. Wisdom, self-control, justice, and courage.