The Big Idea: The media lies to you about success. Success takes years of focused work towards a wisely-chosen goal.
- The media lies to you about success
- The media doesn’t emphasize Bill Gates worked 7 days a week for ten years. Arnold Schwarzenegger worked out 4 hours a day during his teens.
- Overnight success takes years
- Learn to love the grind, because life is a grind, don’t wait
- Love your life, perfect your life —Tecumseh
- Sculpture Approach: identify a rock (goal) and chip away (work) until it becomes a sculpture (success)
- Understand your strengths and choose goals that build upon your strengths
- Jeff bezos embraces the truth
- The narrative bias oversimplifies things
- Magazines are the worst at oversimplifying things
- Media bias will lead to the lottery bias (overnight success)
- It took Warren Buffett 49 years to go from first stock purchase (1941) to billionaire (1990)
- Spend a day trying to go to bed a little wiser than when you woke up —Charlie Munger
- At the end of the day, if you live long enough, most people get what they deserve. —Charlie Munger
- Pick the rock of your health, wealth, love, and happiness and chip away
- The trees that are slow to grow bear the best fruit. —Moliere
Tai Lopez is an entrepreneur, investor, and blogger who runs an awesome online book club. 67 Steps is a lecture series teaching how to be successful in health, wealth, love, and happiness. I’m a big fan.