The Big Idea: focus on profit not revenue; meetings interrupt deep work; remote work equals deep work and top talent.
- Think of your company as the primary product that you are building. What are the features and benefits of your company? What areas of the company need improvement?
- Think about how the company is built early on, because, later, it’s much harder to fix.
- Focus on profit. If you’re profitable, you can stay in business forever. Companies that raise and spend money learn to become good at raising and spending money.
- 40 hours a week is plenty of time to do great work. Learn how to eliminate time-wasters.
- No meetings. Instead discuss things online and asynchronously, so that people can engage when they are ready.
- No conversations allowed in open office spaces.
- Turn off notifications to let people concentrate.
- No real-time chat, with some exceptions.
- Build a remote work company if you really want to hire the best people in the world. Not just in your city.